Drag City Film Distribution announces the theatrical run of THE SOURCE FAMILY (previously titled The Source), the feature length documentary directed by Maria Demopoulos and Jodi Wille about Father Yod and The Source Family‘s radical experiment in ’70s utopian living. The Source Family’s outlandish lifestyle, popular celebrity hangout restaurant, rock band, and beautiful women made them the darlings of Hollywood’s Sunset Strip; but their outsider ideals and controversial spiritual leader, Father Yod, instigated local authorities. Yod was a visionary health food restaurateur, war hero, and judo champion who had thirteen wives and fronted the now legendary psych band Ya Ho Wa 13. The family fled to Hawaii, leading to their dramatic demise. Years later, family members surface and the rock band reforms, revealing how the experience shaped their lives in the most unexpected ways. This treasure trove of interviews with never-before-seen home movies, photographs, and original music created by The Source Family themselves, provides an unparalleled insider’s view into the cult/commune phenomenon and wildly outside-the-box social experimentation of the early ’70s – as well as a being a wholly unique California story.
Watch the official THE SOURCE FAMILY trailer – http://vimeo.com/58953915
Download THE SOURCE FAMILY official poster (as seen above) – http://bit.ly/10a2Wwr
THE SOURCE FAMILY will premiere in theaters in 20 cities beginning May 1st. More cities will be announced in the coming weeks.
- New York, NY – opens Wed. May 1 @ IFC Center – http://www.ifccenter.com/
- San Francisco, CA – opens Fri. May 3 @ Roxie Cinema – http://www.roxie.com/
- Seattle, WA – opens Fri. May 3 @ SIFF Cinema Uptown – http://www.siff.net/cinema/index.aspx
- Los Angeles, CA – opens Fri. May 10 @ Cinefamily – http://www.cinefamily.org/
- Dallas, TX – runs Fri. May 10-Sun. May 12 @ Texas Theatre – http://thetexastheatre.com/
- Philadelphia, PA – plays Sat. May 11 @ International House Philadelphia –http://ihousephilly.org/film/
- Ft. Collins, CO – runs Wed. May 15 & Thu. May 16 @ Lyric Cinema Café –http://lyriccinemacafe.com/
- Columbia, MO – runs Wed. May 15 & Thu. May 16 @ Ragtag Cinema –http://www.ragtagfilm.com/
- Portland, OR – opens Fri. May 17 @ Hollywood Theatre – http://hollywoodtheatre.org/
- San Jose, CA – opens Fri. May 17 @ Camera 3 Downtown – http://bit.ly/c7Udoq
- Santa Fe, NM – opens Fri. May 17 @ Center for Contemporary Arts –http://www.ccasantafe.org
- Tulsa, OK – opens Fri. May 17 @ Circle Cinema – http://www.circlecinema.com/
- Miami, FL – opens Fri. May 17 @ O Cinema – http://www.o-cinema.org/
- Bellingham, WA – opens Fri. May 17 @ Pickford Film Center – http://pickfordcinema.org/
- Nashville, TN – opens Fri. May 17 @ Belcourt Theatre – http://www.belcourt.org
- Nevada City, CA – runs Fri. May 17-Sun. May 19 @ Nevada Theater –http://www.sierracinemas.com/nevada.asp
- Phoenix, AZ – runs Fri. May 17-Sun. May 19 @ Film Bar – http://www.thefilmbarphx.com/
- Austin, TX – runs Sat. May 18-Sun. May 19 @ Alamo Drafthouse – Ritz –http://drafthouse.com/austin/the_ritz
- Denver, CO – opens Fri. May 31 @ SIE FilmCenter – http://www.denverfilm.org/filmcenter/
- Cleveland OH – plays Wed. June 5 @ Cleveland Museum of Art – www.ClevelandArt.org/Film
THE SOURCE FAMILY is inspired by the cult-classic book The Source: The Story of Father Yod, Ya Ho Wa 13 and The Source Family written by Isis Aquarian and Electricity Aquarian and edited by Jodi Wille (Process Media, 2007). It received extensive praise in outlets including The New York Times Magazine, Los Angeles Times, PAPER, NPR, and LA Weekly.
THE SOURCE FAMILY, then titled The Source, was selected to world-premiere as one of eight documentary feature films in competition at SXSW 2012 and has played numerous festivals since, including sold-out screenings at SXSW, Silverdocs, Hot Docs Doc Soup, San Francisco International Film Festival, and the Seattle Film Festival. Other festivals and special screenings include the True/False Boon Dawdle and Burning Man.
For more information, visit:
Jodi Wille is a filmmaker and book editor known for collaborating with individuals who have amassed archives that document American subcultures. She is Co-founder of book publishing companies Process Media and Dilettante Press. She has produced a number of award-winning books including The Source: The Untold Story of Father Yod, Ya Ho Wha 13, and The Source Family, Dear Andy Kaufman, I Hate Your Guts!, Pure Country: The Leon Kagarise Archives 1961-1971, and Starstruck: Photographs from a Fan, by amateur photographer Gary Lee Boas. Jodi has also worked as a still photographer, music video director, and television field producer. THE SOURCE FAMILY is her first feature film.
Director, producer Maria Demopoulos
Maria Demopoulos has directed television commercials and integrated media for clients like BBDO/NY, Y & R, Element 79, Draft FCB, and Ogilvy. Some of her brand campaigns include Sephora, Sony, Levis, Mandalay Bay, working with talent like Justin Timberlake and John Elway. THE SOURCE FAMILY is her first feature film.
About Drag City Film Distribution
Drag City Film Distribution is the theatrical/home entertainment distribution arm of the multi-disciplinary record label, Drag City. Forming in 1989, Drag City once fed strictly on the whims of the record buyer, with promotional videos where called for – but by the mid-90s began releasing books, magazines, films, and even minting a coin! By the mid-aughts, this led to the DVD format. Drag City got its groove with reasonably popular DVD releases such as Fred Armisen Presents: Jens Hanneman/Complicated Drumming Technique, Vernon Chatman’s Final Flesh, the documentary film Silver Jew, and DVD releases of Swiss filmmaker Peter Liechti’s early ’90s art-ghetto documentaries. An association with filmmaker Harmony Korine led to Drag City distributing his film, Trash Humpers (2010). Most recently, Drag City Film Distribution handled the theatrical release of Tristan Patterson’s Dragonslayer (2011).
Prior to this film, Drag City Records has released several albums by Father Yod and the Source Family, including Chants and Songs by Father and The Original Source Family (2006), Magnificence in the Memory(2009) and The Thought Adjusters (2012). For more information, visit: http://www.dragcity.com/artists/father-yod