Andy Winter has been behind several noteworthy releases in the more progressive and avant-garde spectrum of the Norwegian post-black metal scene. His style of subdued, classically influenced progressive metal is probably not quite what most people think of when they hear the words Norwegian and metal mentioned together, as his music features a far more classical and progressive influenced sound than the groups of his usual co-collaborators.
He founded his first band in 1998, the quartet known as Winds, which consists of members from several well-known bands on the Norwegian metal scene (Mayhem, Arcturus, The Kovenant, Khold, etc.). From there he went on to form Age of Silence in 2004 (with members from Borknagar, Solefald, etc.). He has since participated on two records with Subterranean Masquerade and one with Self Spiller, in addition to recording a full length album with Sculptured (the side project with several members from the American folk metal band Agalloch).
Having kept busy making several records with his main bands throughout the 2000s, in addition to an instrumental piano EP as a solo artist, he started working on a new full length effort in 2008. His vision for this recording: To collaborate with some of the various musicians he had crossed paths with over the years, through his work in his own projects as well as some of the new friends encountered through being a The End Records artist for over a decade.
The result is “Incomprehensible” – a full-length album featuring the following tracks and vocalists:
1. Reversed Psychological Patterns (Agnete M. Kirkevaag of Madder Mortem)
2. My Illusions Are My Own (John Haughm of Agalloch)
3. Perfection Is The Blank Page (Kjetil Nordhus of Tristania, Trail of Tears & Green Carnation)
4. Somewhere Else To Disappear (Dan Swanö of Nightingale & Bloodbath)
5. Through The Eyes Of A Surrealist (Lars A. Nedland of Borknagar, Solefald & Age of Silence)
6. Far Beyond Autopilot (Heidi S. Tveitan of Star of Ash & Peccatum)
7. The Transversal Conjecture (Paul Kuhr of Novembers Doom & Subterranean Masquerade)
8. Back To Square Two (Lars E. Si of Winds, Before the Dawn & Sensa Anima)
Also appearing are Jan Axel von Blomberg (Mayhem, Arcturus & Winds), Carl August Tidemann (Winds & Arcturus), Øystein Moe (Winds & Ulver), Don Anderson (Agalloch & Sculptured) and Mike Young (The Devin Townsend Project). The album was produced by Andy Winter himself, mixed by Shaun Thingvold, mastered by Maor Appelbaum and features artwork by Travis Smith.
Having continued his approach of always applying a very genre-defying style, “Incomprehensible” is yet another unmistakable and unique record from Andy Winter, and one that provides a different experience altogether when compared to anything else in metal, or indeed most music.