Like a back-alley brawl, award winning New Orleans producerProspek and critically acclaimed Cincinnati emcee Boogie Bangcome in swinging on their new album, The Baracus Brothers. The tandem combine for nine tracks of gold rings to the chin, leaving the listener bruised up and begging for more boom bap.
Prospek has worked with a multitude of reputable artists and won2010 NOLA Hip Hop Awards producer of the year. Boogie also has achieved sterling marks throughout his rap career, partnering with industry powers like DJ Ekwality, Ed OG, Fashawn, M1 fromDead Prez, Sizzla and others found within his illustrious portfolio. Together they form a badass team that brings the pain from start to finish.
Demanded internationally, DJ Baby Yu is one of North America’s most experienced, versatile well respected and highly connected DJ’s. Baby Yu is without a doubt a staple in the entertainment industry world wide. Determined and passionate, he consistently delivers and works along side chief industry leaders. Layered with many talents, DJ Baby Yu is a prominent international DJ, an exclusive radio show host, and a producer. Over the years Baby Yu has been at the top of the nightclub scene in Toronto, spinning at a wide range of clubs, lounges and patios which caught the attention of promoters and club owners around the world. In mid 2008, Baby Yu re-located to Atlanta, Georgia after receiving an offer to be the resident DJ for the ultra-trendy Velvet Room.Top artists around the world have also noticed Baby Yu’s talent and have used his talents to leverage their performance while on the tour. Baby Yu has been the opening tour DJ for Juelz Santana, 112, Snoop Dogg, Sean Paul, The Game; and also has been the top pick to DJ concert after parties for Kanye West, Ne-Yo, Fat Joe, Pharrell, Jay-Z, Rihanna, Akon, Chris Brown, Diddy, Rick Ross, Trey Songz, DJ Khaled, Cassie, Black Eyed Peas, Drake, Georges St- Pierre, Allen Iverson, Lebron James, and more. Expanding to his international appeal, Baby Yu has also worked alongside with K-Pop Artists: The Wonder Girls, Crown J and 2PM.
Pittsburgh Music Magazine caught up with DJ Baby Yu before his appearance here in Pittsburgh at Soldiers and Sailors on June 23rd with Young Jeezy…
As a DJ, radio show host, and producer, can you describe a “typical” day in the life of DJ Baby Yu?
– Sometimes I dream of having a Baby Yu duplicate. Usually my day consists of waking up sometime in the afternoon, and straight to the DJ studio to prep for my5PM show with Big Tigger on V-103 FM. After my show, I usually hit the gym and stay for around an hour and a half. Later, I’ll put in some production time until I have to go DJ at the club. When I get home from the club I prerecord my 7 AM morning show for Ryan Cameron on V-103 FM. After this I usually hit the studio again and see if I can make some beats before I go to bed. I try and eat between everything as well.
You have had some amazing guest opening spots and done some incredible private gigs as a DJ. Can you relate at least one mind blowing experience or encounter?
– DJ Jazzy Jeff invited me to DJ his 40th Birthday in Philly, where I played nothing but soul, funk and 80‘s music. It was so much fun. Also in 2006, I DJ’d for Jay-Z, Kanye West, and Rihanna during Caribana Festival in Toronto, Canada. To do a Rocafella medley for them felt like I was DJing at their concert. Most recently, Kanye West flew me down to one of his concerts during the “Watch The Throne” Tour, to discuss how the concert could be improved. It was an interesting 2 hour conversation.
When people hear your art, what is it that you want them left with?
– Positivity, motivation, and inspiration.
Where are your favorite places to DJ?
– Tokyo, Japan – Manila, Phillippines – Vancouver, Canada – Toronto, Canada to name a few.
What place or where in the world would you most like to host as a DJ, but have not done so yet?
– Dubai, Rio De Janeiro and Moscow. That would be so dope.
Who are the artists that have had the most influence on what you do?
– Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Aaliyah, Jodeci, Notorious BIG, Bell Biv Devoe.
What was it like collaborating with DJ Swivel in Sato Goldschlag? And who came up with the concept for the Mr. Mister video ?
– It’s an amazing run. Swivel is very talented, and has learned from the best. Working around Beyonce, Jay-Z, and Diddy to name a few, he is a grammy winning engineer, so to work with someone that has so much experience in the music work only motivates me to work harder.
The video was an idea by Aaron our video director. We were both happy with the originality of the video. (See below for the video)
What are your immediate goals in the business and where would you like to see yourself in five years?
– Producing; making music is my immediate and long term goal. I want to continue DJing around the world, on V-103 FM, supporting Young Jeezy as his DJ, and take Sato Goldschlag to an international level.
Along with his weekly club residencies- Baby Yu can be heard on Atlanta’s hottest radio station V-103 (WVEE- V103 FM “The Peoples Station”)
Monday- Friday at 5:00pm on the Ryan Cameron show and Saturday’s from 12pm-1pmEST with his “Midday Motivation Mix Show”. Baby Yu
also continues to do his syndicated radio shows, tuned in by thousands around the globe.
XXL & RED Distribution is excited to announce the XXL Special Edition mini-mag available exclusively at Best Buy stores nationwide starting October 9. As part of Best Buy’s first partnership with XXL & RED Distribution, the $5.99 limited edition mini-mag will be positioned in the music section of all Best Buy locations.
The XXL mini-mag features DJ Khaled on the cover, and inside readers will find exclusive interviews from DJ Khaled, Eve, RZA, Kendrick Lamar, 2 Chainz, T.I., Joey Bada$$, and more. Each mini-mag comes with two free bonus CDs, including a times, rhymes & beats sampler with new music from Future, Method Man, Ryan Leslie, and Ca$h Out, and a Mizay Entertainment sampler featuring music from Waka Flocka Flame, OJ Da Juiceman, Tarvoria and Reema Major.
“XXL was more than happy to join forces with Sony RED and Best Buy for this project. It helps us reach a wider audience and showcase RED’s roster while also offering a special edition of the mag to our dedicated readers.” – Vanessa Satten, XXL Editor-in-Chief
“I am pleased and excited about the RED, XXL and Best Buy partnership on the XXL mini mag. I’m confident that the Best Buy customer will thoroughly enjoy the content as well as the 2 CDs included. Hopefully the fans will enjoy reading as much as I did about Eve getting back into the hip hop game, she has truly been missed.” – Sonya Askew, Senior Buyer, Anderson Merchandiser
Cricket is running a contest in conjunction with times, rhymes & beats. Contestants can enter to win 1 year of service to Cricket with Muve Music® included plus an Android Smart phone signed by RZA. Additional rules contest details can be found in the XXL mini-mag, and at Facebook.com/timesrhymesbeats.
Disc One Track Listing:
1. Eve “She Bad Bad”
2. Ryan Reslie “Beautiful Lie”
3. Future “Turn On The Lights”
4. The Revelations “I Forgot To Be Your Lover”
5. Ca$h Out “Big Booty”
6. Deon Young “Party Life”
7. King L “Val Venis”
8. Mad Child “Monster”
9. Method Man “Built For This”
10. Joey Bada$$ “Waves”
11. Casey Veggies “Toe Tag”
12. RZA “Just Blowin In The Wind”
Disc Two Track Listing:
1. Waka Flaka Flame Ft. Sony “24 hours”
2. Dbo Montana “Dbo Montana”
3. OJ DA Juiceman “Wea Ya Been”
4. Dirt Gang Ft. Waka Flocka “Rambo”
5. Young Joey Ft. Waka Flocka & Fred Da Godson “I Fuk Wit Em”
6. Reema Major “Major moves”
7. Tarvoria “Be Quiet”
8. Joses Moses “Ratchets Dirty”
9. Fetti Gang “Jaw”
10. Woo Da Kid “What’s Brackin”
11. One Thurd “Stop & Go”
12. Shuga Shane “Ring Bells”
13. Cartier Kitten “Bring It Back”
14. YG Hottie “West Hanin”
15. Cartier Kitten “Guala Guala”
16. Bo Deal “Wow”
17. Fetti Gang “Good Morning”
18. Bo Deal “Clap”
19. Joe Moses Ft. Ty S & DJ Mustard “Bitch”
20. OJ Da Juiceman Ft. Gunplay “I Sell”
21. Reema Major “I Am Legend”