Metallica sent forth the following info on their participation in a Deep Purple Tribute Album:
We are honored to finally confirm that our contribution to the much-discussed Deep Purple tribute album Re-Machined – a Tribute to Deep Purple’s Machine Head will be available on September 4, 2012 through our good friends at Classic Rock Magazine as part of a special “fan-pack.” Those of you who know us will have figured out we don’t always take the most conventional path, and sure enough, we decided to cover a song called “When A Blind Man Cries,” which was recorded during these sessions, but not included on the album. Instead, it was used as the B-side on the “Never Before” single. The song does appear as a bonus track on the album’s 25th anniversary edition.
As you might have noticed with these fan-packs, the mag portion is always full of really cool exclusive content, and this one is no different, with 128 pages of exclusive chats with Purple members as well as one of the last-ever interviews with the mighty Jon Lord, who sadly passed away recently.
Aside from us, the likes of Iron Maiden, Steve Vai and Black Label Society also feature. Here’s the full track-listing:
1. Smoke On The Water – Carlos Santana / Jacoby Shaddix
2. Highway Star – Chickenfoot
3. Maybe I’m A Leo – Glenn Hughes/Chad Smith
4. Pictures of Home – Black Label Society
5. Never Before – Kings of Chaos
6. Smoke On The Water – The Flaming Lips
7. Lazy – Jimmy Barnes with Joe Bonamassa
8. Space Truckin’ – Iron Maiden
9. When A Blind Man Cries – Metallica
Plus, exclusive to this special edition:
10. Highway Star – Steve Vai, Glenn Hughes, Chad Smith, Lauchlan Doley
Classic Rock Presents: Re-Machined – a Tribute to Deep Purple’s Machine Head is published on September 4, 2012, so be sure to check your local rag/mag store after that date or pre-order by clicking here.
Keep your eyes peeled for additional information about a wider release of the album including the States later in the Fall.